Deutsche Telekom Global Carrier – First 800G Network in Europe
Leading European operator takes important innovation step with Ciena to overcome the challenges of network scale, cost and efficiency
BONN, GERMANY, HANOVER, MARYLAND USA –May 14, 2020 – Deutsche Telekom Global Carrier, the international wholesale unit of Deutsche Telekom, recently turned up the first European 800G network connecting its data centers in Vienna, Austria. The technology, provided in cooperation with Ciena (NYSE: CIEN), will satisfy customers’ demands for higher speeds and efficiency, which are especially important for applications such as IoT, cloud computing or video.
- Deutsche Telekom Global Carrier welcomes Ciena’s WaveLogic 5 Extreme to satisfy surging traffic requirements across its pan-European network
- 800Gb/s transmission was successfully implemented between data centers in Austria and validated for stability and error rates in a live environment.
- The technology innovation, which is based on higher spectrum efficiency, will allow Deutsche Telekom to transport eight 100G of data traffic in less than 100Ghz of spectrum and is optimized for high capacity 100GE and 400GE customer interface connectivity. It is the industry’s first solution that can transport 2x400GE across a single 800G wavelength.
- This next technology step supports the extension of the highly efficient Deutsche Telekom network by further reducing shelf demand and power consumption for deployments in Public Telehouse Exchange points.
- Deutsche Telekom intends to implement Ciena’s WaveLogic 5 Extreme (WL5e) with its 6500 and Waveserver 5 platforms, managed by Ciena Manage Control and Plan (MCP) domain controller..
- “We pride ourselves on always being a step ahead and this move will push us over the threshold. It will help us achieve a significant industry milestone by delivering the first 800G network in Europe. With it, we will increase network capacity and efficiency, and create a more adaptive network that can meet our customer’s needs now and into the future,” said Rolf Nafziger, Senior Vice President, Deutsche Telekom Global Carrier.
- “The telecoms sector in EMEA is among the most competitive in the world, so it is essential that telcos continually offer newer, faster and more reliable services to stand out from their competitors. We have many shared values with Deutsche Telekom Global Carrier and have enjoyed working with them to deploy innovations across their pan-European network, and we are especially proud to work with them on this first 800G deployment for Europe,” stated Jamie Jefferies, Vice President and General Manager, EMEA, Ciena.